Monday, August 26, 2013

Mountain Goat Brother

     Yesterday my brother was extremely bored. So, since he and I live on coastal Northern California, he decided that he wanted to go dig for clams and that I was going to keep him company. We went to Wal-Mart and bought a shovel then drove to the ocean. Ten minutes later we were on the beach walking along the sand looking for little holes to pop up when the water went out. We finally found some and Buddy started digging. And digging. No clams. A couple holes later we admitted to ourselves that we had no idea how to find clams and that maybe we should do some more research for next time.
     Buddy then decided that if he cant get clams then he'll just catch some fish. So we drove to a rocky area by the beach that some people were fishing by. My brother loves climbing rocks so we explored the rocks a bit first. While exploring my brother found an little empty crab carcass and gave it to me. I call him Eugene. ☺

   After trying to fish for a little bit the tide started coming in. But he was determined to continue trying.

He got splashed a few times but when his line got caught in seaweed he finally admitted to himself that he doesn't know how to fish. Before we started packing everything up he saw something on the rock he was on, he got it off and asked my what it was. It was a mussel. He was ecstatic. Finally, something he could get! He got a few mussels and I steamed them once we got home.
     He was so happy about getting the mussels that we went back at low tide for more. There were so many! He got enough for our dinner and by that time it was starting to get dark so we started heading back up the rocks. Now when I said that my brother likes climbing rocks, I mean it. He's like a mountain goat. He has uncanny balance when he's on rocks and can jump from boulder to boulder with no fear. When we were heading back up the rocks, this is the sight that greeted me.

Yes, he was actually in mid-jump when I happened to look up towards him. After we got home we had a yummy mussel pasta that I may someday figure out how the recipe went. If/when I do I'll be sure to share it. ☺
Update: My brother took a picture of the pasta with his laptop and just finally sent it to me.

 
It was delicious, but I'm gonna try a few things different next time and write stuff down as I go so that I can share the recipe with you. ☺

4 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we did, but I miss being so close to you.

      Delete
  2. You need to start bringing your camera for such outings.

    ReplyDelete